Thursday, October 7, 2010

Stay in touch



Dear Friends,

Over the last week or so, I have been feeling I need to spend a bit more time on my friendships. As I make it a point to listen to my intuition, I decided to call a good friend who has been on my mind, and the first thing he said was that he and his wife had been thinking about me too and were feeling a need to catch up with their friends. We all had a great laugh at the coincidence, and then we had a lovely chat, catching up on one another's lives. It was just another reminder to me how valuable my friends are and how important it is to find ways to stay in touch, even when they are far away.

Of course, getting together in person is the best, but isn't always feasible. Nowadays despite physical distances, there are so many ways to keep in touch that it is actually easy to do so. In addition to our home phones, we have cell phones to stay in touch from just about anywhere. And there are instant messaging programs that allow us to use the computer to catch up with people we haven't seen in a while. There are even some computer programs that allow you to talk to each other in real time with video!

If you are pressed for time, communicating with your friends all at once through a social networking site makes it really easy. Online social networking is a great way to keep up with everyone without having to contact each person separately to find out what they are up to. Many people post pictures, tell stories and relate bits about their family, events, and vacations. By posting regularly about what you are doing, you take advantage of this media to let others know what you are up to in your day-to-day life, as well.

And there are always emails or good old-fashioned letters, notes and postcards. Almost everyone enjoys finding a nice personal note in among the bills and junk mail.

Even if you are busy, I encourage you to do what you can to stay in touch with your friends. I have found that by taking advantage of some of the things I just mentioned I am able to enjoy my friendships all the more. I hope you will take this opportunity to catch up with someone you haven't heard from in a while. Why not see who comes to mind?

No comments:

Post a Comment